You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-08 16:44:21

mattcaron
Website

Blocking problems after fresh install

Hello!

I have been running NanoDLP for something like 5 years now, and over that whole time the following setup has worked wonderfully.

mUVe3D printer (standard projector/RAMPS setup)
Viewsonic projector
RPi2 Model B (because it was 2016)

For reference, none of this hardware has changed.

The original setup I did was based on Jessie Lite (again, back in 2016) and I updated it via apt-get and I updated NanoDLP as normal based on the Advanced instructions (wget and run setup).

About a year ago life got interesting and I turned the printer off, only now getting back to doing something with it. Noting how old everything was, I decided to do a fresh install of RPi OS Lite Bullseye (raspios_lite_armhf-2021-11-08/2021-10-30-raspios-bullseye-armhf-lite.zip, imaged and updated via apt-get) and NanoDLP stable (currently 4550).

Config is set to output video to /dev/fb0.

RAMPS and web UI both work.

And this is where I started noticing some issues of varying concern:

1.) When booting with the projector on, I get all the terminal messages, but the screen is not blanked when NanoDLP starts. I would expect it to blank the screen as one of the first things it does, which is how it used to behave before upgrade.

2.) When using the Display Calibration function, the various items are displayed but, upon blanking the display, a flashing cursor remains. I would expect the screen to be completely blank, rather than for there to be a flashing cursor at the bottom corner of the screen.

3.) (Minor) When using the Focus Calibration function, the red grid is actually displayed as blue.

4.) When powering off the projector (which I do at the end of every print) and then powering the projector back on (which I do at the beginning of every print), the output no longer goes to the projector - I don't know where it goes, but going to the Display Calibration and trying to get it to display things doesn't work. If I click the Restart button and wait for it all to reboot, that restores functionality, but it's annoying to have to do this every time I print.

I've left the whole setup as is, empty of resin, so I can debug and test anything you like, including re-imaging the RPi.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2022-01-08 20:20:31

Shahin
Administrator

Re: Blocking problems after fresh install

Hi Matt,
Long time no see.

1. I think it is systemd service related, usually easy to fix. Not tried bullseye build. I will try and fix any issue there.
2. Same as 1
3. Intentional, Mono related will try to correct it.
4. Not sure about this one. Please share a debug file.

For issue 1 and 2 you may try disabling framebuffer by removing path on framebuffer input.

#3 2022-01-09 18:27:48

mattcaron
Website

Hello Shahin!

Indeed it has been a long time. I am happy to see that NanoDLP has grown considerably. Meanwhile, there are more printers, better resins, more models to print, all good things.

Regarding the above:

1&2: Disabling the framebuffer and restarting NanoDLP results in no output to the screen when choosing things on the "Display Calibration" panel - the boot messages just stay on the projector. So, it's not like it's even outputting to *any* display device at all.

3: When you wrote this I was thinking "Mono.. but I thought you wrote this in Go?" Then I realized you must mean Monochrome, not Mono the C# runtime.

4. Logs are here: https://owncloud.mattcaron.net/index.ph … ac8Jcm43Cy

the .before log is before I turned off the projector, and includes old boot messages, etc. The .after log is after I turned the projector off, let it sit for about 2 hours, then turned the projector back on. Spoiler - There is no difference between them.

Note that I ran the above test after running the test for 1 and 2, so the framebuffer was not selected.

Let me know if you want me to test or debug anything further. I'm also happy to test any new Bullseye builds you have to offer. However, if this is not a priority, or is not useful, let me know and I will just reimage with Buster and go from there.

I stand ready to help in any way I can.

#4 2022-01-12 09:40:03

Shahin
Administrator

Thank you Matt,

You are receiving "Cannot open display" for videocore which probably means display configuration is not correct. Good to know framebuffer still work without correct videocore options. It is usually rare.

Logs does not help here for item 4, I do want to know exactly what mechanism being used to turn projector off / on. I had seen some displays could not be turned on after HDMI signal cut, require refreshing framebuffer/videocore.
fbset -accel true (looks unrelated from specification but it is working)
fbset -accel false
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/fbs … .1.en.html

#5 2022-01-12 16:13:42

mattcaron
Website

I presume the "Cannot open display" is a result of when fb is not selected as it seems to not emit such a message when I select the framebuffer (and, indeed, I get a display output in that case). Is there something you would like for me to try to get the videocore mode working?

Regarding item 4, I have tried turning the projector on and off via its remote control and via the USB-Serial adapter which sends a command bytestream to the projector. I have this bound to some UI buttons and also to be executed at end of print. The results are the same in both cases.

I am not certain what you intend for me to perform as a test. As I understand it, I should:

1. Change config to use /dev/fb0 for output
2. Verify correct operation before projector power off.
3. Power off projector
4. Wait some time.
5. Power on projector.
6. Play with fbset commands to see if I can restore video output and correct operation.

Is that a valid and correct test protocol?

Thanks.

#6 2022-01-13 07:22:41

Shahin
Administrator

Yes, default mode for rpi is videocore which is far superior. I guess there are some configuration mistake on config.txt or some parameter change on OS level preventing videocore init.

Yes, also try to force HDMI enable maybe it also helps. Because as far as I know after boot new HDMI device does not get init automatically.

#7 2022-01-13 19:36:04

mattcaron
Website

I did some quick searches on Bullseye videocore and found some people complaining about driver changes and changes that can be made to config.txt to switch back to the old videocore driver and so forth. I will perform some tests this weekend where I try to switch back to the old driver and see if that fixes opening the videocore device error (and, presumably, the functionality that results when that device is used) and also will change it to use the framebuffer device and then will run some tests with fbset to see if I can convince it to work after being turned off and then on again.

I will let you know what I find out.

#8 2022-01-14 09:07:49

Shahin
Administrator

I did test bullseye, changing driver below on config.txt will fix the issue. Anyway it seems, I need to put new pi driver support on the roadmap.
vc4-kms-v3d => vc4-fkms-v3d

#9 2022-01-14 16:00:07

Shahin
Administrator

3.) (Minor) When using the Focus Calibration function, the red grid is actually displayed as blue.
Corrected

#10 2022-01-14 19:08:33

mattcaron
Website

That was indeed the driver I found to change in config.txt.

I ran a quick test and had similar results - changing to the older driver restores the old functionality - including *not* having a blinking cursor on blank screen.

Since that worked, unless you feel the need for me to do so, I will skip running the framebuffer tests, especially since, even if I restore the display after projector power cycle, it will still have a blinking cursor.

Interestingly, the focus calibration displaying the red grid as blue does not seem to happen when using the old video driver. At least, it didn't for me.

Anyway, I think we can consider this bug as a "known issue with workaround". I'm going to run some prints over the next few days and will advise if I have any other problems, as we never know what else they changed on Bullseye.

Thank you for your time and assistance, Shahin.

#11 2022-01-17 13:43:00

mattcaron
Website

Ran some prints over the weekend. No failures attributable to NanoDLP - intermittent curing failures were all almost certainly the result of the resin having expired in September of 2021 and it having sat in a vat, unenclosed, since February of 2021 without being stirred or used. I strained it, mixed it well, and mixed in the remainder of that last bottle of resin, but there is only so much one can do when the resin is that old and degraded - which is why I'm using it for testing, lol.

Board footer